Last Monday, our first day back to school from Winter break, I introduced the concept of New Year's Resolutions to my class. I am teaching fourth graders and decided that they are ready for such a feat. It was truly eye-opening to see what ten-year-olds deemed important in their lives. There were the few that copied the teacher of course, the few that wanted to impress their parents and many which wanted to impress me. It really got me to thinking as to why we make resolutions. Are we truly trying to do something for ourselves or are we simply trying to please others? I think it is a cycle. If we please others, we in-turn please ourselves and that makes us feel good about ourselves. Is this something that I am just figuring out as a 27 year-old that ten-year olds already know? If so, damn they're good!
Josh and I decided that we would keep our New Year's Resolution simple this year, "Be healthy, be happy." Since then we have started actually using the workout equipment that has previously collected dust in our basement, making better food choices and it IS making us happy. We have both noticed an increase in energy and a decrease in pessimism. I just wrote, "Hopefully we can stick to it", but I deleted it because that is the wrong attitude - We WILL stick to it!
Life it too short to have a clean house! I have learned that life IS too short to have a clean house. There are chores that are never-ending (i.e. house cleaning, laundry). They will always be there! I have been told, by many wise people, to "cherish the time with the one's you love." Time flies, so this year another thing I am going to do is to "love the one's I'm with!" Even if it means that my bed doesn't get made everyday, or the shower doesn't get cleaned, or the sticky spot on the kitchen floor is there for a week. Don't worry - I'll still clean the house for company!
On New Year's Day my mother-in-law had written on the message board at their house, "HAPPY 2009! May your year be filled with happiness, harmony, health and financial freedom!" I hope this is true for all of you! Happy New Year!
Sunday, January 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment