Saturday, March 30, 2013

Bye, Bye Binky

There are so many parenting philosophies out there, many of which include opinions on pacifiers.  When I was in the hospital after giving birth to Kyler, the nurses gave me the option of offering him a binky.   Kyler was such a sucker (ha, ha...he actually came out chomping his lips) that it was pretty much a no-brainer.  I didn't want to become his personal pacifier.  When he was 18 months, we decided to "cut him off".  Pun intended...we took his binky and punctured a hole in the end so it lost it's appeal.  Then each day I would cut off a sliver of it so that it increasingly got smaller and undesirable.  It worked; one day while I was tucking Kyler in for a nap, he took it out and threw it on the floor! Then I asked him if we should throw it away and he said yes.  But as I have mentioned in previous posts, Kyler and Blake are very different.  We are trying to cut Blake off cold turkey, and it is proving to be difficult.  Last night I went into his room and took out the pacifier that he was using as well as the extra one sitting on the dresser and made them disappear into thin air (yes, I am a magician too).  At 5:30 this morning he woke up asking for it.  We looked EVERYWHERE for them.  We even pulled the covers all the way off of the bed to make sure that it didn't get pushed down.  Surprise, surprise, we couldn't find them anywhere!  I was able to calm him down enough to where he slept for one more hour.  However, now it is nap time and we are struggling!  We have now spent 45 minutes playing the same game.  Blake gets up, we bring him back to his room and get him comfortable only for him to come out 5 minutes later.  Hopefully our perseverance will pay off.  If not, there is a plan B...cut the binky!
Kyler with a binky in his mouth and stealing one from his cousin, Madi.

Blake getting soothed in between posed photos of his newborn shoot.

No comments: