Sunday, July 20, 2008

Appreciating Parenthood

What is a parent?

Webster's dictionary defines a parent as:
par·ent
1 a: one that begets or brings forth offspring b: a person who brings up and cares for another
2 a: an animal or plant that is regarded in relation to its offspring b: the material or source from which something is derived c: a group from which another arises and to which it usually remains subsidiary

I now believe that being a parent entails much more than this definition. I'm not too sure that there is one clear definition that could possibly represent what a parent is and does. To me being a parent is having an extreme amount of patience, being a good role model/citizen, being a protector from all evil, getting up in the middle of the night (it is amazing how much one can accomplish on little, interrupted sleep), changing lots of dirty diapers, loving someone more than I love myself, and constantly putting that person before me. And these are only a few of my personal experiences - like I said before, there is no clear definition. When I was pregnant, many people would try to tell me just how much joy being a parent would bring into my life, but it is only now that I truly believe them. No one can tell you nor could a class possibly prepare you for what becoming a parent is like.

Don't get me wrong, I am loving and appreciating every minute of parenthood.

Another thing I truly appreciate about parenthood, is watching Josh develop into a parent of his own. Every time I think about Josh as the father of my child it brings me tears of joy. He has been a incredible father figure already, and it has been less than 4 weeks. He was so very supportive through my entire pregnancy, he was astounded by the labor and delivery, and the way he adores our son is simply heartwarming.

Last but not least, becoming a parent has made me appreciate the gracious gift of a good parenting that my parents have given to me. Wow! I just think back to what I put my parents through and can only hope that Kyler is just a little more respectful than I was to my parents. I can not thank my parents enough for what they have taught me, given me and how much they have loved and still love me!

No comments: