Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Labor and Delivery

Wow! I have been meaning to post for sometime now, but if you are a parent you know just how busy the first few days are!

On Wednesday night we had plans to go out to dinner with the Cransons, but then I started to have some serious contractions that were only about 15 minutes apart. Needless to say we decided to stay in and the Cransons brought us some dinner - thank you Jeff and Jaime! Shortly after they left at 8:30 my contractions started becoming more intense and about 5-7 minutes apart. Josh was so great at timing and helping me through them. We then decided to go into the hospital at about 11:00 p.m. They checked me in and hooked me up to the monitor. At this point I was about 4 centimeters dilated, but my contractions had subsided. The on-call doctor for my group told me to go back home where I would be comfortable and go in at 8:00 in the morning.

Well, as soon as I got my clothes on and started walking to the car my contractions started up again. Josh did take me home only to have my contractions get much more intense. I laid down in our bed and oohed and ahhed every time a contraction came. At this point, my contractions were about 3-4 minutes apart. I told Josh that I really couldn't take much more and then the contraction from hell came. I didn't know which end to put on the toilet - this one was obviously the deciding factor to go back to the hospital at 2:00 Thursday morning.

Once we got back to the hospital, the triage nurse checked me in. She said, "There is no way we are sending you home this time. We have a whole different person on our hands!" The doctor checked me and I was 7 centimeters dilated. The nurse then said, "I know you weren't sure about drugs the first time, how are you feeling about them now?" I responded, "GIVE ME THE DRUGS!" Everyone was so accommodating and got me what I needed in amazing time!

Once I had the epidural I was greatly relieved. The on-call doctor came in and checked me and I had progressed to 8 1/2 centimeters.

The epidural had stopped my contractions and I was able to get in about 2 hours of sleep - which I was very thankful for.

Then at 7:00 in the morning my doctor came in to do a scheduled c-section, but it had been moved, so she decided to see how ready I was. She checked me and I was 10 centimeters dilated, but my water hadn't broken yet, so she decided to break it for me. It didn't take much. Once my water had been broken Kyler's head was noticeable and it was pushing time. It only took 4 contractions to push Kyler all of the way out.

One of my requests was to have Josh announce the gender of our baby, so my doctor held the baby up and said, "Ok Josh, what is it?" In a very shocked voice Josh yelled, "It's a boy!" Kyler was then laid on my chest and Josh cut the umbilical cord, and I couldn't believe the immediate love I had for him!

No comments: